A few things: I’m just going to list ‘em, because I can.
- On Saturday, I will co-facilitate a workshop essentially about gender wars on the playground (in the media, classroom, or at grandmother’s house) called When Boys Wear Pink. It’s at the fantastic reproductive rights conference at Hampshire College. Want to be wowed? Come to the conference.
- On Sunday afternoon, I will bowl. Why? In support of the National Network of Abortion Funds’ important work to ensure access to abortion services, which is to say FUNDING. Please help me help women. That's the link to donate. The shortest sentence goes like this: a theoretical right matters little if you cannot exercise it.
- I started reading Harriet Lerner’s book Marriage Rules. So simple, so smart, even so easy. A good set of reminders never hurts!
- I like the idea that simple things simply work. The dear hubby is away for the New York Antiquarian Book Fair. Rather than make it hard, I let the two smalls into my bed. I will not kick them out until he’s back, difficulty at future bedtimes be damned. Saskia and I went to town to get her a slice of pizza and bring some back for brothers last night. We raced, in intervals. This is how you race your four year-old. She called, “Ready, set, go! Stop!” And won each time: I was not to go even a step ahead of her no matter what.
- In the past few weeks, Remy has written a biography report (on Tomie dePaola) and performed in a class play about a penny’s journey through the Underground Railroad, two things he has, in the past, really struggled with due to perfectionism and shyness and however those kinds of tasks bristle his sensibilities or sensitivities. He did both beautifully—and with relatively little fuss. I am a very pleased, relieved, and proud mama.
- Not every moment for every one of my children has been so easy these days. I am reminded of how much patience and firm faith are traits to be cultivated. I often feel like I am reminded of those traits—as well as this one: appreciation of what is—when I read my friend Jaime’s blog. I borrowed a pretty picture to share my gratitude at her ability to notice small things here.
- And then there’s this. I am going to say why I need feminism after you do. Spill, in the comments or post your reason to the Tumblr. I can’t wait to hear.
- Lastly, filed under small fixes, I had the ugly medicine cabinet taken out, which made a hole (nicely repaired) where a mirror would go and new lights put in, thanks to Irwin. Then, of course, the room needed repainting, thanks to Jason. Then, I needed a new mirror, which I found with some facilitation from Jena at Pinch Gallery—that’s where I got the shelf and the pretty switchplate. On my behalf she asked Matt, maker of the shelf, whether he’d make me a mirror. He did. I feel happy when I walk into the room, although I will feel a tiny bit happier when I hang some artwork up.