A Roof Over Your Head

Comments (2)
Thursday, October 18, 2012

If you are homeless, or at risk of becoming homeless, here is a partial list of resources in the Valley that may help you find shelter if you need it, or avoid losing your current home.

First, resources provided by the state:

Holyoke Transitional Assistance Office
72-100 Front Street, Holyoke, 413-552-5400

Greenfield Transitional Assistance Office
143 Munson Street, Unit #3, Greenfield, 413-772-3400

Springfield/Liberty Transitional Assistance Office
95 Liberty Street, 413-858-1000

Then there is an umbrella agency that can help the homeless, or those on the brink of homelessness, in many ways. It's HAP Housing, headquartered in Springfield at 322 Main Street; call 4313-233-1500 and ask to speak to a housing specialist.

HAP helped some 400 families find shelter after the tornado that battered Springfield last year, and help for those still in need because of that storm is available through December of this year. HAP is the go-to agency for information about whether you are eligible for financial help to help keep you in your current home, or assistance through the state's RAFT (Residential Assistance for Families in Transition) program.

If you are facing possible homelessness because of foreclosure, help may be available to get concessions from your lender and keep you in your house. Contact the Western Massachusetts Foreclosure Prevention Center at 413-233-1622 or 1-800-332-9667.

Serving Franklin and Hampshire counties are ServiceNet's Franklin County and Northampton area shelters. Eligibility requirements and availability of space vary; call 413-585-1300 in Hampshire County, 413-774-6382 in Franklin County.

In Amherst, Craig's Place offers shelter from November through April. It's located in the First Baptist Church (413-549-3596).

Northampton's Interfaith Emergency Shelter offers shelter and dinner to over 20 homeless individuals during very cold nights. Call 413-586-2354.

Open all year is Springfield's Friends of the Homeless Shelter at 755 Worthington Street (413-732-3069).

Loreto House at 51 Hamilton St. in Holyoke operates a 24-hour transitional center for homeless men (413-533-5909).

A Family Place, operated by the New England Farm Workers Council and located at 288 Oak Street in Holyoke, offers shelter and case management to help families get back on their feet. Call 413-536-2787.

Main Street Shelter at 319 Main Street in Holyoke serves homeless families and single pregnant women, offering not only quarters but help with employment and housing searches. Call 413-534-2466.

In southern Vermont, Morningside Shelter offers a range of services, from job training and placement to child care and help finding permanent housing (81 Royal Road, Brattleboro, 802-257-0066).

Comments (2)
Post a Comment

Thanks, but sorry to say that there are NO family shelters in WMA that are open to families UNLESS they are approved through DHCD first. And families are NOT allowed in single shelters. On the front for single homeless people in WMA, Friends of the Homeless is no longer able to squeeze in everyone-- there's now a waiting list. HAP, also, while a great housing resources, only has a small amount of funding for emergency shelter (they did out up a family of ours for three days, for which we are grateful-- but their money won't last long.

Posted by michaelann bewsee on 10.18.12 at 7:44

this list is very in accurate. a little geography lesson people is that vermont is not part of western ma it never was.ok also what was forgotten was westfield which is in western it needs to be explained what a seasonal shelter is that 2 exist and are open nov 1 to april 30 and which shelters are dry vs wet.personally i believe all should be dry(drug/alcohol free) because it's for people serious to getting back on their feet. wet shelters act as enablers.also what is forgotten is the time limits at shelters and how they are out of sync with housing authority waitlists.for ex many shelters give from 1 week -30 days whereas a housing authority has 1 to 5 years or more.also why are they gender segregated? i mean if a husband and wife need shelter,she goes to the woman's and he to the man' me they shouldn'y be seperated but together and considered a family and be able to access shelter that way.also there are 2 dta offices in springfield not 1 but all are in hampden co but none in northampton/hampshire co?what's up with that?

Posted by jennifer goldman on 10.21.12 at 20:03



New User/Guest?

Find it Here:
search type:
search in:

« Previous   |   Next »
Print Email RSS feed

In Satoshi We Trust?
Outside the Cage
How solid is the case for organic and cage-free egg production?
Between the Lines: Practically Organic
Does the organic farming movement make perfect the enemy of good?
Scene Here: The Kitchen Garden Farm
From Our Readers
Profiles in Survival
Young business owners in retail-rich Northampton get along by getting along.
The Burning Question
Neighbors of a proposed wood-burning plant in Springfield cry foul air